NGC3628 and it’s “tidal tail”

It very rarely happens that we ‘ve got 9 nights in a row (around new Moon!) here in Belgium. Next to the main setup I have put the little SharpStar to use to capture- every night 10-minute frames of this area. Even with the Optolong LPS the large field gave a clear gradiënt of light pollution.

Seeing the tail appear after 145 frames made me smile 🙂
So yes it’s possible to capture this feature in SQM 20 type skies, you only need a lot of patience I guess (or a faster scope).

Testing the Sharpstar 76EDPH with the ASI183MM

It has been cloudy for the last months, this February New Moon was totally clouded out! With exception of lastThursday, February 20th: after an active rain zone passed through – with heavy wind and hail – the night sky cleared out.

After midnight till 4 am a clearance allowed me to test the setup. The test subject was the dwarf galaxy Leo 1 next to the bright Regulus.

Regulus en Leo1 3x5x120s RGB ASI183MM Sharpstar76 G111

This image was a quick test. Not only for the optics/camera combination, but also for the automation. SGP was used to automate, autofocus, and Solve& Sync. Where before I could not match the Solve coördinates from SGP back into Cartes du Ciel, this time it worked. The secret was to run both applications as an administrator. So both will connect to the EQMOD hub. Syncing in CdC (Manually) will update the EQMOD coördinates, hence also the SGP co*ordinates. And it works in both directions: Solve & Sync in SGP will update CdC. This is great!

I still had Luminance images also, but I did not add these: it were fuzzy frames and some reflections appeared. I suspect this Luminance filter is not ok.

Auriga reprocessed with PixInsight

The Flaming Star Nebula and M38, and some more hydrogen nebulosity, are clearly visible in this Auriga wide field. It is a re-processing with PixInsight and Photoshop combined. This version is not downsized in resolution, so a 100% version 1:1 (also on Astrobin).

Auriga 62x300s Nikon D750 TS76EDPH ISO800 SQM20 PI Joost 100% Optolong L-Pro

This is one of my earlier attempts to work with PI. Obviously something went wrong here, I needed to shrink the image to 33%, to keep it a bit decent. the left white point was clipped, and on a 100% level noise and stars and lots of stuff went wrong. Anyhow, not too posh to show it.